Wednesday, 13 April 2011

K is for... Katy Carr

Katy Carr is the protagonist of What Katy Did, and what Katy did was to become impossibly good after an injury falling from a swing. And when I say 'impossibly good' - I mean practically a saint. Still, you can’t help but like her.

The book was written in 1872 – at a time when a Victorian woman’s place was very much at home, and her aspirations should never rise higher than motherhood and being able to manage a household. The story of Katy is almost a warning to high-spirited girls, and a lesson in how to behave. Despite that, it’s a warm-hearted read, and gives an insight to how society treated invalids, and what life was like in that era, living in a small Midwestern town.


What Katy Did
Published: 1872
Author: Susan Coolidge

Home fact one: I’ve lived in nine different places.
Home fact two: Furthest afield was Hatfield in Hertfordshire.
Home fact three: Furthest into London was Newington Green in Islington.
Home fact four: Tiniest place was definitely the magnolia breezeblock I called home when I was a student.
Home fact five: Every job I have had seems to be approximately the other side of London to where I live. I am known as Commute Girl.

17 comments:

Áine Tierney said...

I read it, but it isn't a story that has stayed with me. I didn't realise it was so old.

mise said...

How I loved Katy, and especially What Katy Did at School, with its wonderful sense of detail and wafting plot.

catdownunder said...

I had a breeze-block one here in Oz - called it "the Tardis"!

broken biro said...

I've just joined your blog a bit late - but catching up on your A-Z has got me stirring up the ghosts of Christmases past! I know what I want M to be... fingers crossed!
p.s. love your little facts after the posts - really nice touch!

Sophia Richardson said...

I read and remember loving the Katy stories when I was younger, so much so that when I saw What Katy Did Next at a charity shop I bought it even though the back cover didn't instantly thrill me. I still haven't reread it, hmm.
- Sophia.

Out on the prairie said...

A fun read. Not much of a commute in the town I live in. You can be anywhere in less than 30 minutes. A traffic jam is 8-10 cars.I used to ride a train to work and enjoyed the people watching.

Kim said...

Oh how I loved these books!

Sue H said...

Ah, Katy! I read and re-read the books (even when I was all grow'd up!!) - I always used to feel sorry for Elsie. I don't know about Katy being a 'saint' but Cousin Helen certainly qualified for that title!

(sigh )- feel nostaligia coming on....where are my Katy books? Doh! Dearest Daughter has absconded with them!

As for home - I grew up in a small town in the Midlands but left to work in London. I got married and had a couple of kids and we gradually moved back north until now we're back up to my starting point! I find it weird that my kids went to the same school I did...!

SueH

Ann said...

I have never read this, but now I am intrigued. Thank you Commute Girl!

Plain Jane said...

I love all the cool little things you post about yourself. It is like the little picture I have in my head of you changes just a tiny bit with each post.

Happy Frog and I said...

This isn't one I know, but it was good to find out about it from you. I do love the facts you put in and I am really enjoying your A-Z posts.

Maggie May said...

At last...... I can comment on this post! Strange things are happening on Blogger!
I loved What Katy Did as a child though looking back the invalid Katy was a bit of a saint by todays standards!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

sandy axelrod said...

Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge. So nice to meet you. I'm a new follower!

Lori said...

I love how you are approaching the A-Z postings with all the clever 'extras' about yourself on top of your book reviews!

I have not read this book, but it sounds like one I would have enjoyed as a girl.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm amazed anyone wrote a book about a handicapped person at that time in history.
Nice to meet you on A to Z.

D U Okonkwo said...

Great post, always nice to acknowledge those who came before us.

Ann Best said...

I've never heard of the book, but I'm so glad you've introduced me to it. I LOVE old books!
Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home