1. Flowers. Be they fresh, in your garden or a symbol – show them some love! Wear a flower print dress or top, use flower clips in your hair, or wear flower emblems on your jewellery. Today I have a red flower tied around my wrist like a corsage, feeling a bit like Sarah Jessica Parker.
2. Spirals. Spirals represent your spiritual journey. I have arranged last year’s conker collection on my desk in a spiral pattern, and have drawn a spiral on a post-it note. I hope the solstice doesn't mind post-its! And I am sure the office already thinks I am a bit odd (I cite the conker collection as exhibit A.)
3. Candle. Lighting a candle is a nice way to welcome this new turn of the year. This is one for later, as I don’t think I can get away with a candle burning on my desk!
4. Write a poem or a story. The solstice is all about being creative, enhancing your creativity and feeling positive about yourself and your world. So here is my offering:
Tall and true, made of stone
Surveying the world from a green-hilled throne
The crest of the sun begins its age-old ascent
The world bathed in yellow; the light heaven-sent
The Green Men awake, stretching their limbs
Beginning their watch over all living things
The birds chatter for berries within the hedgerow
The farmer starts his day with new seeds to sew
By the time I awake the world is in motion
The noise of mankind a grind of commotion
But do take a moment to contemplate the wonder of today
The magic behind each new dawn, and new day.
5. Make a creative wish. Today is the day when you should be true to your creative heart, and confess what you wish most of all. It is also a day to be thankful. For my wish, I don’t like to use the word ‘and’ (e.g. I wish for this and this) as I think that lessens the power. So word it well! The wish in my creative heart is that I will soon sign to a wonderful literary agent who loves my novel-to-be.
Now your turn! Let me know your creative wish in the comments below, and enjoy a bit of midsummer magic. If you leave a comment then tonight when I light a candle to give thanks for today I will read out your wish and give it some positive vibes. I’ll also do this at the end of this week, so don’t worry if you don’t see this until later. Happy solstice everyone!