Thursday 1 September 2011

Flurry of Things

That sounds like a title that should be used by speech therapists. However, a thlurry of fings have been happening on the writing-front, despite August hitting me with a slumber stick. Here is a mini round-up:

1. I attended a brilliant short story workshop in Northampton run by the writer Helen Hunt. It was called Insight to the Women’s Magazine Fiction Market – and she delivered a cracking workshop, packed full of information, as well as lunch! Met some lovely people and chatted about writing all day. Sadly I have no time at present to get going on ideas for that field but at least now I know more for when I do!
Find out about Helen's next workshop on her blog: fictionisstrangerthanfact.blogspot.com

2. I submitted some blog posts to the Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook website and three have gone online all at once! This is amazingly exciting for me – if you have time, please do pop over and leave me a comment – it would be wonderful to hear from you. Swing by and find out about:
- My thoughts on Page Fright – be gone,Writer's Block!
- What it felt like to do to work experience later in life - Gaining Writing Experience
- What I think about the big R – Rejection (it may be an evil blighter, but there are lessons to learn.)
Hope you like them!

3. I am rewriting my novel. This is both hugely exciting and deadly, excruciatingly, terrifying. I’m feeling quite energised about it at the moment though, so am back to writing as much as I can around the full-time job, and utilising lunch-times and saved holiday allowance.
I have a whole six days off soon to write - whoop!

4. I bought Nicola Morgan’s book 'Write to be Published' and highly recommend it. If you have Nicola's book, Stephen King’s 'On Writing', and literary agent Carole Blake's 'From Pitch to Publication' on your bookshelf then I don't think you can go too far wrong. I also went to Nicola's book launch at Foyle’s in Charing Cross, met up with fab friends made via this blog, and even won a Crabbit bag. I am chuffed.
Find out more about Nicola Morgan, and her books, via her blog: helpineedapublisher.blogspot.com

5. I have started the OCD social media checking regarding any news on certain short story competitions. I can’t say which competitions as I fear a giant Jinx will smash down from on-high with its hairy foot. Both competitions do not even announce their shortlist until October. I am, ooo, about thirty days way too early.
Perhaps I have OCOD (obsessive compulsive online disorder).

6. I am going to mention Nicola Morgan again and I hope she doesn’t think I am being too gushing, but as well as being a busy fab author lady, she runs a writing consultancy called Pen2Publication. If you are at the stage where you need guidance or direction with your novel / writing, and are ready to accept criticism in order to find out how to be a better writer, then do check out what the consultancy can offer you. I did, and it is probably one of the best things I have ever done for my writing career to date.
Find out more about Pen2Publication here: pen2publication.co.uk

So that’s me in a Technicolor writing nutshell. And now it's time to welcome September with cosy knitted jumpers, warm scarves, glorious colours and crisp fresh air. As well as hiding my birthday, I always feel this is a magical month, full of promise. Good wishes for your own writing!

22 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Wow! Congratulations and good luck! That's a lot going on, but it's fabulous.

Out on the prairie said...

Good luck with all!

Debbie Coope said...

Great news. I'll check out the Yearbook site.

Nicola Morgan said...

Hi Jayne - thank you for the lovely mentions! No, you were not too gushing - just very kind :)

Nicola Morgan said...

Hi Jayne - thank you for the lovely mentions! No, you were not too gushing - just very kind :)

Natalie Murphy said...

Wow, you sound crazy busy! Good luck with everything =)

MorningAJ said...

You've been busy! Good luck with the competitions.

Maggie May said...

You certainly mean business and will surely get there because of sheer determination.
Good Luck with it.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on your news It sounds like you have a lot going on. :)

Good luck with the rewrites and competitions!

Old Kitty said...

Loved all your blog posts over at W&A!! Yay for you!!

Good luck with all your competition entries - big big hugs! I have all my limbs and my trusty third eye crossed for you!! Yay!

Yay for your crabbit bag, fiction workshop and all your wonderful other flurries!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Take care
x

Natascha said...

I'm rewriting my book too. I mostly just got mad :)

Wendy said...

It's still too hot where I am for anything warm and fuzzy, but I'm crossing my fingers and squinting my eyes and wishing fall weather upon myself as soon as possible!

Delia (Postcards from Asia) said...

Good luck with your novel!
I've read Stephen King's "On Writing" (I'm a big fan), great book! I'll keep an eye out for the other two books you mentioned.
May the Muse be with you!
And since you mentioned the month but not the day, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, even if it's not today. :)

Unknown said...

Stephen King's 'On Writing' is one of my favourite books ever. Love it!

Isn't Helen Hunt marvellous too. So talented.

Good luck with the competitions!

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Lots going on. So thrilled you enjoyed Helen's workshop - I imagine it would be wonderful. And isn't Nicola's book good?

Liza said...

Popping over from Karen's BBQ. Sounds like you have been busy. Good luck with the rewrite!

Liza said...

Popping over from Karen's BBQ. Sounds like you have been busy. Good luck with the rewrite!

Tracy Jo said...

Hello! I met you over at Karen's BBQ...thanks for the beer. :-) Good luck with all the new adventures & I love what you said about September.

Have a great weekend!

~Tracy

Glynis Peters said...

Good luck!

Popped over from Karen's BBQ. Enjoy your weekend.

I read Wasted by Nicola Morgan and it is great.
Glynis Smy (writer)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Rewriting your novel? Awesome! It's my personal belief that novels need rewriting a LOT to become publishable. (one of the biggest problems with self-publishing imho)

Eliza said...

Wow you are busy busy busy. I'll check out the yearbook site too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the lovely links!